Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Find That Hard To Swallow

I'm not good with remembering birthdays or anniversaries or any sort of occasion that customarily warrants sending a card. Chances are, if I remember the special moment...it's the day of, which doesn't allow enough time to buy a card, write a special note, get a stamp, put it in the mail, and have it arrive on time.

I've long been envious of people that are so on top of their game that they always have a card ready to go...to make their special people feel special. I keep hoping that one day it will just kick in...I'll magically have my own card library and everyone I know will know that I really am thinking of them in advance of any Facebook notification.

So. The other day I went to visit a friend. When I got there she was sitting at her computer, composing an email. She stood up from the computer to greet me and sat back down right quick, saying "Oh, while I'm thinking of it I should put a card in the mail to my friend. She broke her foot." And with that she opened a cabinet stocked with her own personal card library.




She pulled out the perfect card for this occassion. I'm not going to lie...my mouth was ajar...I was both impressed by the preparedness and amused by the ecclectic collection of cards. I mean it when I say...she has a card for every occasion. Some of her arsenal had a clear and definitive purpose.

Just in case you have a friend with a broken foot.

 Just in case you want to console a friend about the passing of Fido.

Just in case you and the office mates want to salute Beverly on her milestone year?

Others were a little harder to figure out just exactly when they would be appropriate to give....

Just in case you want to thank someone for the pillow talk.

Just in case you need to give a shout out to the Holy Spirit?


Just in case you want to address the inappropriate behavior of a fellow gym member? (Its hard to see, but I promise its worth squinting to read every word.)

And then there was this - I don't even...I mean what IS the occasion this is appropriate for?



4 comments:

  1. my grandmother had a card box too, but it probably didn't have any dick jokes in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm calling you out maris... that's no friend, that's your momma! i know that handwriting anywhere and the navy pillow is a dead giveaway. quite an impressive card collection, though i'd expect nothing less :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know why Mom has a card about a penis? And just so you know, I'm now blind after squinting my eyes to read the Health Club etiquette card!

    ReplyDelete