Before I Share the passage, I feel the need to give you some background on "The Day After Stupids Chronicles".
During Junior year of college I frequented "The Special", every Thursday night, $7 at the door got you a bunch of drink tickets and all you could eat pasta buffet. I never touched the buffet. For me, pasta and mullets just don't mix. Anywho, I would drink myself into a dancing frenzy. And then finish the night off with a slice or 3 of "gay pizza" (it's not any different than regular pizza really, its just served by flaming homos at the fine pizzeria adjacent to Sisters.)
Friday mornings were interesting. Once I regained consciousness and did a quick self assessment of how much dignity I had left and changed my clothes (that were without fail the same ones from the night before and drenched in the Snapple that was in my hand when I fell asleep), I would drag myself into the kitchen and make myself a bagel with butter. Then I'd go sit on the sofa in my favorite corner, eat my bagel slowly so I didn't choke...as I often do after a night of drinking, and I would call my best friend and roommate, Laura.
Laura would patiently listen to my slow and spotty rendering of the prior night's activities. And then I would share with her some special tid bits, that have fondly been named "The Day After Stupids" . I would sit and ponder the strangest things and then pose them as serious questions to Laura.
(Claimer: If you ever hear anyone else speak of "The Day After Stupids" they got it from me. I coined the term. It is mine. No one else came up with that. Just me.)
And Now the Passage...
Do children with ugly parents, know that their parents are ugly? Babies, I'm sure have no discerning abilities. But I would think a child of...say 8....could start to tell the difference between attractive and unattractive. But I think at that point a parent is still this mythical creature that garners undying love and admiration. For me, I think I was around 16-17 when I realize my parents were real people. So once you realize your parents are people...I think you then begin to see them in a different way and can critique their appearance....kinda like once I was blind and now i can see...you know Amazing Grace.
So is there ever a point where a young adult looks at their parents and thinks....ooooh mommy got beat with the ugly stick! Or Damnnnn Daddy looks good from far but faaar from good! (Say it soulful and with a squinty eye)
Or do children never see their parents as anything more than the most wonderful and beautiful creatures put on this earth? You tell me.
I know my mom and dad are hot. How do i know? Have you seen me and my brother...you don't get the stellar good looks we have, by chance.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
classic, vintage, marissa... and that is only one of many of the ridiculous things that would come out of you on those kinds of mornings...
ReplyDelete