Thursday, March 26, 2009

She gave ME a look?

Alright, I'll admit it...the worst social transgression possible...I'm guilty of it. I use handicap stalls and showers. I do. I like my space. Don't get me wrong, if there are a lot of people around I'll defer to the able body facilities. But if no ones looking...my tush is going handicap style.

I go to the gym a little later in the morning. This way I avoid the over zealous muscle heads and the water aerobics class' shower time. Not to mention, by the time I am done my workout the handicap shower is usually available. Score!

Yesterday, after a very satisfying workout, I went into the locker room...waited for Tammy Talksalot to end her boisterous bluetooth convo that just HAD to take place right in front of my locker. Then, I quickly got undressed and raced into the showers...alas my coveted handicap shower was free!

The water temp was perfect. All the other showers were empty. I remembered my razor and all of my toiletries. Quite possibly the best shower scenario, ever. As I was enjoying the quintessential shower, I began to get that feeling...that feeling when you can sense someone's eyes peering at you. I turn around slowly to find the sweetest old lady sneaking a peak through my serves-no-purpose-because-it-is-clear-plastic-to-my-hip-and-then-opaque shower curtain.

As soon as she caught me catching her, she backed down and got into her own stall. I watched the poor lady gingerly step over the two inch lip of the shower...fretting the whole while that she was going to slip and break a hip. I immediately began to mount my defense. What would I say if she confronted me about my use of the handicap shower...maybe I should walk out with a limp, or if she says anything I'll just fire back with "Who are you to tell me I don't need a handicap shower lady, I could be blind for all you know?"

The more my guilt intensified the more outlandish my retorts became...I considered telling her I had premature and advanced osteoporosis. 

But I never needed to employ my defense. 

We both turned our showers off at the same time. As I reached for my towel, I noticed she was still wearing her bathing cap and swim suit. I just assumed she was 'rinsing off'. And then it happened...I heard a trickle...a tinkle if you will. I thought to myself...nah she's not doing what I think she's doing. And then to my surprise (and disgust) I heard FULL stream. This little old lady...the one I was so afraid was judging me...turned off her shower and before toweling off...full on peed.

I grabbed my belongings and made a getaway before we had to look each other in the eye. I was further shocked when she came out of the showers and as I was blow drying my hair...she passed behind me...she stopped and locked eyes with me in the mirror...and delivered her disapproving glance. She gave ME a look? She peed in the shower!

Now don't get me wrong. I'm no stranger to peeing in the shower (and if you say you don't, well you're just lying), but AFTER I was done showering? and in my bathing suit? I would never. That's just wrong.

Always wear shower shoes, my friends, always.

2 comments:

  1. Again, yikes! Old ladies at the gym can be cut throat bitches, let me tell you. At the Y, the mommy-and-me swim classes are just after the old lady water aerobics, so there is often a confrontation in the shower area. They'll beat you with their canes, is all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use those stalls too. I call them Taj MaStalls

    ReplyDelete